Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Salutation to Flaws too !!!


I was travelling back to Trivandrum from my home town (Kochi) in a KSRTC when my joojoo stepped into the bus. It was somewhere close to Kollam and I was sitting in the front seat of the bus, just behind the driver and so did not notice him moving forward from the back door.


Only when that man reached my seat did I realise the dire situation I was in. He asked me to show my bus tickets and ‘lol’ I did not have them. Somewhere during the 4 hour journey, the tickets had flown off from my hand. I had never imagined coming face to face with a Ticket Checker and so I was least bothered about keeping them safe.


Now it wouldn’t be really fair to hold me onto to that, coz in all the years that I have travelled around Kerala, a Checker has never been the person to run into. And that should be the reason, I guess, I dint have a clue on how to handle the situation. He kept asking me to check for the tickets in the bag (yeah…. he repeated that statement 6 times) and I kept trying to tell him with words and gestures that its all flown away, out through the window.


Our conversations interrupted the otherwise drowsy crowd and I am sure atleast a few of them would have thought that I got caught for not taking the tickets and made a little conversation within themselves, with a chuckle down their throat. Meanwhile I framed an innocent smile on my face and never cocked my eyes to look at the faces around me. :D For sometime I had completely related to the proverb - Cat who’s shut her eyes while stealing the cream!!!


Anyways, after checking my bag pockets for the 6th time, it became clear to our Checker that my tickets have indeed flown off. He reminded me of the penalty of the crime (for few minutes, that’s exactly how I looked like – a Criminal) - Rs. 500/- & tickets to be purchased once again. It was then that I used that bait – innocence and repentance. I had to convince him that this will not be repeated and that I would forever here onwards take extra care and retain the tickets for examination, while in bus. The look on my face along with the words should have melted him I guess, for he left me without charge.


While getting down the bus, for the first time, I felt great gratitude to those leaders out there for having found ways to dodge Rules and Laws they have voted for. If this had happened in any other country, am sure I would have had to abide by Rules and pay the penalty :P

3 comments:

Reflections said...

"If this had happened in any other country, am sure I would have had to abide by Rules and pay the penalty :P"

LOL exactly my thoughts!!!!

Rohit said...

Aha..Go ahead and Thank God that you are born a Woman. But seriously, that should have been a very awkward situation especially with people around just waiting for a chance to judge and brand you. Similar incident happened to me while travelling in train..I paid Rs 1000. Lolz..nice blog here..gone through most of your posts :)

SandyaS said...

Thanks for visiting Rohit :-)