Friday, January 16, 2009

Will you listen? Hearing also will do!

"One of the most valuable things we can do to heal one another is listen to each other's stories"


I remember those days when everyone around used to talk about the importance of "Listening". They said Listening - actually listening, calls for understanding the words, feelings and the emotions in it. And Hearing is just being able to hear the sound and it stood nowhere up in the line when compared to the impact of Listening. Those days even me, among the group, used to practice Listening to the noises of both the inside and the outside world. But then again, that era of life have completely fallen back, off me, long ago itself.

When I came across that first line, the next thought that passed through was, even hearing could be of a lot of aid most of the times. Many a times when I have to pour out, it just doesn't matter whether the other end is actually listening or connecting to what am telling. Sometimes, the only thing matters is that we want to tell and we just want to tell it all out; so that the pain lightens in our own hearts. Even the reverse is true for this; when we share the happy moments, it gives us an opportunity to relish the event once again adding to bliss in our heart.

So, I guess, if there is someone who is there to just sit right across, that should do the magic and most times, it just doesn't matter even if that person is deep down in his/her own thoughts. It just doesn't matter if they don't connect to even a single word of what we tell. We just need a hearing aid! :D

Haven't you guys came across situations like this, where you just want someone to tell it to and you are not bothered if that person relates to the whole matter or not? I remember once when I kept on pouring out my frustration and my friend actually fell asleep listening to the boring saga. But still I continued talking to her, fully aware that she's not holding onto no word of what am telling. What was more important then, was to just throw it all up :-)

I have had many of those situations where I get contended with Hearing and may be that's one reason why I keep thanking those special people who end up always on the other end. (poor them, ofcourse! but its one thing that I just cannot help them on) I surely understand the effort it takes :D to remain unconnected to all those words falling out ;-)

So I would vouch that if Listening can heal miraculously, sometimes, just Hearing could also do the magic! May be the significance is more on being able to talk about it all, as mentioned in this previous blog.

2 comments:

Compassion Unlimitted said...

How true..mere listening friend is wonderful and as you rightly said even if it doesnt get other persons symphetic ears, merely pouring out helps a lot..these days where does one get a friend who can sit across & listen,everything is long distance on phone or on chat..but still it helps ..nice one

TC
CU

SandyaS said...

CU: Thanks for the comments.. :D it gets me going for the next one.